Friday, January 13, 2012

Happy 6th Birthday Jake



Jake, you are 6 years old today! I cannot believe how fast time has gone by. I remember the day you were born very clearly--it was another Friday the 13th and was also a full moon that night:-) We lived in Springfield, MO at the time. Mommy's doctor had been on vacation for the past 2 weeks and I had an appointment with him that morning. I was very ready for you to be born so we agreed to induce on Sunday. After the appointment I ran a few errands and then picked Caleb up from preschool. Emma started running fever so I took her to the pediatrician where she was diagnosed with strep throat and given an antibiotic shot. We went home and had naps and I can remember feeling contractions throughout the day. About 4pm I decided to take a bath and see if that helped soothe my back. My contractions were still pretty regular and starting to get closer together, so we called my parents to let them know we were heading to the hospital and would call them when we knew if it was "real" labor. When we got to the hospital about 5pm I was dilated to a 4-5 and they agreed to keep me. My parents arrived from Mountain Home (about a 2 hour drive) and took Caleb and Emma with them so that daddy could stay with me. I had decided about 6:30pm that I was ready for an epidural, and then when no one was in the room by 7:15 we called again and they finally came in (we had hit them right at shift change the first time). It was the worst epidural ever because it was a student and my blood pressure bottomed out and I passed out and threw up when I came to. After that experience, your birth was pretty easy. I pushed for about 10 minutes and then was told to stop pushing because my OB wasn't even in the room yet. Three pushes after he arrived in the room you were here. You weighed 8 lbs 14 oz and were born at 10:54 pm ( I believe that is right on the time). You were our biggest baby and had quite the squished appearance:-) You are a wonderful addition to our family.
You can be silly and goofy or shy and quiet. You are in kindergarten this year and love your teacher and your class. You enjoy going to school for the most part and look forward to it most days. You still don't really have any interest in playing sports, preferring to spend time playing with Emma or Caleb. You are a big momma's boy still, and are very helpful when you want to be. You love Will but are sometimes a bit too rough with him. Jake, we love you and hope you have had a very happy birthday!

No comments: